...and then

Tuesday 17 July 2007

Jaded?

Maybe it's because I am in the news business that nothing seemingly touches me any more. I mean July has been tumultous this year, (funnly enough July has been that way for the past couple of years as well) to say the least. Tomato fever, Puja Chauhan, Kafeel and the Bombing Mess (seriously, what was he thinking), a 24-year-old who went out on a picnic with his girlfriend and was killed by scum while they left the woman tied to a tree, monkeys irritating the crap out of Bangaloreans, earthquake in Japan .... among other things. And personally, finishing a month in with my current paper, ordering furniture for the first time in my life and a false pregnancy alarm. It's been like a kaleidoscope spinning crazily. But through all that I've just gotten up, thought about issues like when I'll lose weight and when I'll get to go to Chichen Itza and such. I've cooked, shopped, smiled, visited friends, partied and well, basically lived life. And at the end of few days I think, why am I relatively unaffected by all that's happened.
Really, it's worrying me. I used to be the kind who had at least one cause to call her own at any point in life. From saving water and hugging trees to donating blood and writing away body parts to science. Everything. These days I just take care that I do these things in my life and not actually go out and preach. Why? Will I lose friends if I do? Or have I learnt to live and let live? And if I have, is that such a good thing?
The only thing I seem to be doing this year is talking a lot about the things that are happening. Like everyone else. Talk. Talk. Talk. Talk. Talk.
So many opinions. But I just can't figure out how to do something for someone so that it makes a difference.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger TheFatOracle said...

"You know what's really terrifying -- more terrifying than the deadening effect of society? It's that, bit by bit, completely of your own accord, you eventually become so boring that you want to stomp yourself in the face with a boot."

~ Some agony aunt

7:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home