...and then

Saturday 5 January 2013

Reclamation: a note to my kids

I gave you my womb, child,
All nine odd months of it.
A choice that was not yours
And sometimes, I think, not mine either.

You bullied my stomach into indigestion
And stretched the comely bones of my hips
You made me wear pretty maternity clothes
Ones that would have otherwise assaulted my sense of fashion

So tonight when you sleep all warm and soft
Safe in the crook of my arm,
I'll be glad if you kept your elbows to yourself
And your rabbit-chasing feet still

My face isn't for your chubby, butterfly-catching
Palms to slap into astounded wakefulness.
In the day time, when you leap on my back
Or torpedo your love into me

Spare my breasts and the skin on my face
From your happy mauling
Subjugate your ambitious knees
As they climb the hills of my soft thighs.

For tonight, child, just for a little while
I reclaim my body, this cup of your being
Battered, bruised and benevolent
With your unthinking, joyous love.

Jan 3, 2012

12 Comments:

Blogger Natasha said...

Beautiful.
You say it for me. Such a lovely rhythm and lilting tone...I read this in. Love, N

3:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gifted....that's what you are....

6:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seek Love,See Love and Sense Love.
You can do better than this with
Love. Child is from Love & Child is
Love so the Mother,when you
touch Love, it is for ever as long as
they exist, like the Omanathingal
Kidavu.(Please just neglect it.I
just scratch this because I
understood your potential).

7:52 pm  
Blogger Mystic said...

The pains that mothers go through for their children.. Though I wonder if any mother would think along these lines without guilt, I think you have brought out the feelings quite well.

9:02 pm  
Blogger Ashwin D said...

Take a bow!

2:03 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Touching. Beautiful, very beautiful indeed. :)

3:22 pm  
Anonymous Yolande Villemaire said...

Great, loving poem. Saw it on Twitter, retweeted by @Natashabadhwar and emailed it to my niece who has a 2 months old baby. It's her birthday today, she's turning 29. I'm sure she will find it inspiring!

6:48 pm  
Anonymous Mini said...

Delightful! Am sure all mothers must be lovingly reliving their precious moments n yet longing for a few moments on their own...thanks to @natashabadhwar for retweeting and allowing me to indulge in your joyous writing

8:03 pm  
Blogger Sach1 said...

Lovely! Such reasons and words constantly remind me that I can never thank my mom enough for everything.

1:44 am  
Blogger Ire said...

Aah...this poem just makes me go 'aahhh'. Lovely! :D

8:55 pm  
Blogger Sandhya Menon said...

thank you, everyone :) and especially those who left me comments about your own pieces of life.

very touched.

12:29 am  
Anonymous sukanya said...

discovered you recently. how much i enjoy your writing. loved this one particularly, identify with it totally.

7:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home