...and then

Wednesday 8 August 2007

TV

After nearly five years of consciously avoiding television, of fighting every war that came my way from well-meaning friends, I gave in last week.

The TV came in and I felt like I had betrayed myself. I would first steer clear of it. Avoid it like the plague. I thanked all kinds of good gods that it had a room to itself and I didn't have to see it till I went to that room for absolutely anything.

I told a friend of mine about it and in that gentlemanly way he has, he asked me if getting a TV was still something to get excited about in my proletarian life. I was mad enough to hit him but then I ignore fleas these days. I don't tell every random person that I now have a TV. I tell people who have patted me on the back, cursed me, teased me, wrung me out and taken my trip about not having a TV. So when I tell someone - choosily - that I now have a TV, it's only me looking for solace and assurance that I haven't committed the biggest crime against peace and intellectualism by getting one.

Afterlife:
1) Less reading
2) For some strange reason, more sex
3) Fewer early mornings
4) More dinners at home
5) Ugly Betty
6) More laughter...guffawing. I can't believe I lived without television news.


You know what I really miss, though? Looking absolutely clueless when people talk about television shows. Now I am one of them - talking incessantly about how Boston Legal's not as cutting any more or how Ugly Betty's so close to the real thing in many ways.
The good thing, of course, is that I can now see friends making fools of themselves on news :) (I say this affectionatel, ok?)

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger TheFatOracle said...

This can be tempting at times, so here's a noob tip:
the +/- buttons for 'Brightness' don't actually affect the intelligence of what you are watching...

12:17 am  
Blogger Sandhya Menon said...

haha.

2:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Believe me you, you actually dont miss anything when you dont have it. You miss only when you have it!!

5:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Less sex when the television enters the bedroom. At least thats what the statistics say. :)

1:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.

6:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home