...and then

Monday 15 October 2007

Commitment phobic

We'll keep deluding ourselves
With birthday and anniversary dinners
Collecting crystal, making love,
Buying pleasure in music and vacations.

And we'll laugh at each others' jokes
Sometimes only because we don't want
Minute-broken hearts or complaints of how
Someone else always "laughs at my jokes".

We'll have children, maybe,
If you're not too old and I, not too fat
And we'll give up smoking and frivilous shopping
So that they can have that
Pony
Holiday
Trip to the moon.


And then, old, spent and perhaps happy,
We'll pray for peace and children who love us;
Till we see, in our geriatric wandering,
A minute of pure, clear, light

Flashing loud and clear, even without our glasses.
Then we'll wish we could live our life all over again
Differently; Or, wait, wish to be reborn
And not take the same turns.

Or we could just be honest now, my love,
As you lie, satisfied and sweaty, on me
Your mouth a luscious O against my summer skin
And vow never to say 'I do.'


October 9, 2007.

11 Comments:

Blogger GauvaLove said...

love the poem...:) keep them coming ;)

2:46 pm  
Blogger TheFatOracle said...

Sandy...I don't know how this makes me feel...

6:12 pm  
Blogger Arpita Verghese said...

loved it

8:23 am  
Blogger GauvaLove said...

came back for a second read

1:25 pm  
Blogger Anjali said...

very well written, its a beautiful poem. but would you rather he never said 'i do'?

6:19 am  
Blogger Sandhya Menon said...

I am not sure I understand your question, Wonderstruck. But I'll try answering it. Firstly, i am happily married to a wonderful man :) But I am also the speaker in the poem, many times. Having said that, if I weren't married, I'd be happy to have him not say 'I do.' I like the uncertainty it allows and the opportunities it provides. Marriage provides a whole different set of opportunities, which I enjoy as well.

2:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey babe ... hows you?

SwB

4:46 pm  
Blogger Anjali said...

you answered my question very relevantly! so i guess without actually knowing, you did understand it somewhere :-)

11:29 pm  
Blogger CognitiveLocomotive a.k.a Thought Engine said...

Oi!! I've read that luscious 'O' bit somewhere else..was it another poem by you, or was it just you lifting from GGM or Neruda?

1:07 am  
Blogger Sandhya Menon said...

Niki, sacrilege! I never lift. How dare you... you may have read it in another piece of fiction that I wrote long ago. How would I look myself in the eye as a creative person if I lifted?!

10:54 am  
Blogger shai said...

We are so contradictory arent we? I am saving the poem because it could well be me saying those things... not quite as well however.

9:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home